Sunday, July 23, 2006

Nelson BC Canada
July 23 2006

Our great adventure has taken a different turn! We are now fully transplanted into this picturesque town. We have purchased a heritage house built in 1901. It is located in the Fairview area of town close to the West Arm of Kootenay lake.



The house sits on a granite stone foundation. It is a wood frame construction with a coved solid fir siding. Above the first floor the siding becomes shingles. The floors are clear quarter cut douglas fir from the local forests. The framing is all clear douglas fir with nary a knot and is as good as new after 105 years. The original windows have been replaced and i will have to make new ones to match the originals. There is some stained glass but I believe most has been broken and replaced with clear float over the years.




The kitchen and bathroom are in an addition built in the mid seventies. I plan on renovating this completely with a new kitchen, bathroom and solarium.

The yard has three fruit trees. One peach, one plum and one pear. The pear has grown into the covered lanai and threatens to drop ripe fruit onto our heads as we eat dinner.




In future posts I hope to report on the various local rides and paddles. This is an active community and i can report that I have had NO problem findng like minded people to run/ride/swim and paddle with.

Stay tuned.....Bill

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this house!
Jordan

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You new house looks beautill Mr. Harbord Harbord (aka Bill)! Fruit trees and everything, in the kootenays no less. I am quite jealous. Nelson is "wicked awesome", as my painfully inarticulate generation would say, and I am happy you found it along the way. My best to Mrs. Harbord Harbord (aka Ginny/Virginia).

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. I meant beautiful, not "beautill". How embarrassing. Wait, did I spell embarrassing right? Darn it! Double consonants are the death of me!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter
web counter